A History of Thorp Arch
The Thorp Arch Estate was originally agricultural land upon which Royal Ordnance Factory Thorp Arch (Filling Factory no. 8) was constructed during the Second World War. The factory took 30 months to construct and was completed in 1942 at a cost of £5.9m. The factory was opened by King George VI and comprised ten Groups, with each Group performing a different function.
Below are photographs of the Estate taken during this period along with Chapter XI War and Peace - Munitions Factory to Trading Estate from Thorp Arch the History of a Township by David Cummings, which is annexed with the kind consent of the Thorp Arch Village Society.